Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Thinking about the FS

I've been mulling over joining the Foreign Service since 1997. At that time, I was teaching English in Taiwan, and was getting my documents organized to ease the process of getting married. The Consular Officer at the embassy was quite amiable, and during the twenty minute interview, we found that we had a lot in common, background and experience-wise, and he encouraged me to think about applying to join the FS whenever I was finished teaching. Well, one thing led to another, and the intervening 7 years have seemed to coagulate into an inseparable sticky mess. I feel that now is the time, and this blog has come about as I attempt to document the process, as well as giving me a singular point-of-reference for any tidbits of information that I come across in my studies that I could feasibly need at a later time, or that might help others on a similar trek. May we all articulate our motivations and experiences appropriately!

The journey begins by registering for the Foreign Service Written Exam (FSWE) at the U.S. Department of State website! This site also provides a basic overview of the career options and opportunities with the State Department.